Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Screening Notes: Melancholia


I’m pretty weirded out by this entire opening sequence. She was on the 19th hole, so it feels INCREDIBLY unrealistic.

Ok, so the planet has hit the Earth. Those were the moments we expect to see at the end of each of the parts. I really hope not in that slow of a montage again though…

I like the father, I enjoy this entire reception in fact. I reminds me a lot of Margaret At the Wedding. Even the real awkward parts. I enjoy this kind of filming and this kind of dialogue at wedding functions.

At this point its pretty obvious that the change in filming style is in relation to how close the planet is.
I still haven’t figured out certain people’s characters. Keifer Sutherland is especially confusing me. So is the kid, and whose kid he actually is.

I can’t tell if Justine or Claire is supposed to be in mourning or melancholic. I feel like I already know, since we saw Justine acting so calm during situations. I also can’t for the life of me figure out when the horrible thing is that they are talking about.

Ok, the “whole” family is grieving. That makes more sense.

Ha, at that picture.

Alright, again, I don’t know why (and I’m starting to think that will be a trend of this movie) but they are really pushing the “18 holes” on a golf course. So the 19th clearly means something.
This mother is the last person she should be talking to right now.
The mother SUCKS. This new tagline guy, is a pretty funny person that has to now follow her around. She is also completely unable to make any attempt of enjoying her own wedding.

Ah yes, the old sky sequence to really tie everything together…
I wonder if it was a deliberate choice to make all unnamed party guests just act like absolutely nothing is the matter, or if they have prior knowledge of her depression and are just trying to be supportive.

I think it was almost hard not to predict some sort of hook up between Mr. Tagline and the other guy.

This is a really long part one.
Couldn’t have been a longer blackout for the transition from part 1 to part 2.

And now it becomes a tad scientific. It’s strange thinking over our previous class period that we watched something with so much special effect and cgi, since we were saying that it was the death of the cinema

I got really into the last half. Some final notes. I thought it was pretty interesting that Keifer Sutherland killed himself. I also liked the antithesis between Justine’s reaction to this and Claire’s reaction, and how it was opposite to the wedding. I think I actually need to have gone through this sort of depression to really understand where it is coming from, but it seems like it is a good explanation on how life feels under Justine’s mindset.

No comments:

Post a Comment