Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Screening Notes: The Prestige

One of my favorite films. Have probably seen it half a dozen times. May zone out watching it, be warned.

I love Christian Bale's pure impressiveness when he sees the old chinese man. I mean, that's the same thing he's been going through for years now, every since he decided he wanted to do that trick, and he knows what its like to have to do so. It's great foreshadowing in the beginning.

I love that upon my first viewing, I was more of a fan of Hugh Jackman's character, but ever since the final's moments of this film I've never EVER thought of him as the protagonist ever again. I've always thought of him as the antagonist, and you know what? It's quite easy to do so, since the character is written so well that he can be perceived correctly either way depending on what you know.

You wanna talk obsessiveness? The fact that these guys write in their journals with the full knowledge that a) their journals will be stolen, and b) that they were never writing their secrets or anything of value to their rival, is astonishing.

The use of the scientist is a pretty cool edition, kinda makes it seem a little more realistic than it did, even though he wasn't doing stuff of this, magnitude. I still enjoy scenes with him, its very very visual.

See, Hugh Jackman, asshole.

The Abra Kadabra moment when he hangs himself, and telling him you'll see me, is epic. He is going to die, but he just knows that Hugh Jackman is gonna see him again and pay for it. He just happens to not be the show, he has to be the man that goes into the box this time, but permanently. It's a sacrifice his own mistakes caused him to make, but he sees it only in a way a magician could.

Great movie. Great great great movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment